July 14, 2014

Spring Berry Brownie Sundaes

Spring Berry Brownie Sundae

Summer camp has been kicking my butt.  We're three weeks in, and I still feel like I'm running everywhere in order to make sure everyone is having a great time.  Luckily that's mostly what I have to worry about-- everyone having fun.  Not a bad job to have.

Spring Berry Brownie Sundae

When I get home in the afternoon I'm normally hungry and tired.  So I love having an afternoon snack.  It's a bit of an indulgence in the middle of my day--a little treat between lunch and dinner.  Most days I convince myself that some fruit or cheese would be a good snack.  But some days I just need somethings chocolate.

Spring Berry Brownie Sundae with Strawberries, Blueberries, and Raspberries

I love brownies, especially ones with a crispy top and a gooey middle.  They're just the perfect little chocolaty bite that I crave.  These brownies are delicious, and I dare I say easy.  Chocolate, a touch of espresso powder, and vanilla make a rich complex brownie that doesn't seem too far away from a traditional brownie.  Brownies don't really need to be messed with, do they?

Brownie Sundae with Spring Berry Syrup

And to make everything even more indulgent and delicious (who can so no to that?)  I topped the brownies with ice cream and my Spring Berry Syrup.  It's like the ultimate brownie sundae served in a jar! It's cute--dare I say twee--and the spring berry brownie sundae is the perfect ending to a hot day at camp.

Spring Berry Brownie Sundaes
author: Happy Food Happy Home
makes 8-10 brownie sundaes

Brownies
3 ounces  70 percent dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 stick unsalted butter
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon espresso powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt (or ¼ teaspoon table salt)
2/3 cup all purpose flour
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Butter an 8x8 baking pan.
  3. Set a large glass mixing bowl over a pot of boiling water. 
  4. Add the chocolate and the butter to the bowl and stir until almost melted.
  5. Remove the bowl from the heat and stir until the mixture is smooth.
  6. Whisk in the sugar.
  7. Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
  8. Whisk in the vanilla and the espresso powder. 
  9. Add the flour and salt and stir until just combined.
  10. Pour the brownies into the prepared pan.
  11. Bake the brownies for 25-35 minutes until the top is crisp, the edges are set, and the middle is slightly gooey. 
  12. Allow brownies to cool for about 5 minutes before cutting and assembling the sundaes.

To Assemble Sundaes:
Vanilla Ice Cream
Strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries for topping
  1. I cut the brownies into about 1 inch squares to fit in the pint size mason jar. 
  2. Start with 1 layer of brownies, then top with a spoonful of syrup.
  3. Add more brownies, ice cream, and a big spoon of spring berry syrup on top. 
  4. Top with berries if desired.
  5. Devour promptly. 
Notes:  Brownies adapted from Smitten Kitchen

The End of the Spring Berry Brownie Sundae!

I love these spring berry brownie sundaes.  I might have eaten them for about a week in a row.  They would also be perfect for a cookout--everyone can make their own!  Do you have a favorite afternoon snack?  Is it practical or more indulgent?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Us What You Think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...