I will literally eat this sauce right out of the pan; the chicken drippings, broth, and cream cheese work so well together and magically create an amazing sauce with only three ingredients.
The tomatoes and basil add freshness and brighten up what could be a heavy dish. And the tomatoes are so good softly cooked in the sauce. They melt into puddles of tomato heaven.
Make this quickly! September is still a great time for tomatoes, but
Place the chicken into the hot pan and cook until both sides are crispy and lightly browned. Remove the chicken to a plate.
Pour in the chicken broth and use a wooden spoon to scrape the delicious chicken bits off the bottom of the pan.
Add in the cream cheese chunks.
Stir until melted and add salt and pepper to taste.
Add the chicken to the sauce and turn to coat.
At this point you can add the tomatoes and basil and allow them to cook for about five minutes to 'melt' the tomatoes. Or if you have picky people, leave the tomatoes and basil to garnish at the end.
Place the chicken on the plate, spoon sauce on, and add basil...
4 small chicken breasts or thighs
1/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 glugs of oil
4 ounces (1/2 block) cream cheese
3/4 cup of chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup fresh cherry tomatoes
a handful of fresh basil leaves
- Over medium heat add oil in high sided skillet or dutch oven.
- Pound chicken until about a quarter inch thick.
- Mix together flour, pepper, and salt on a plate. Dredge chicken until lightly coated in flour.
- Add chicken to hot pan and cook until both sides are golden brown, and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken to a plate.
- Add chicken broth to skillet and stir with a wooden spoon to scrape the delicious chicken bits off the bottom.
- Add cream cheese and stir occasionally until melted.
- Cut tomatoes into quarters and julianne the basil into pretty strips.
- Put the chicken back into the sauce and turn to coat.
- You can add the tomatoes and basil in and cook for approx five minutes until the tomatoes have softened slightly.
- OR you can plate the chicken and add the tomatoes and basil as garnish.
So please make this chicken! It is absolutely wonderful, and your taste buds will thank me!