One of Dustin's favorite side dishes are twice baked potatoes. I don't make them often because they do take multiple steps; definitely not a 30 minute meal.
When we made Valentine's Dinner this weekend (yes we were early, don't judge :) he asked for me to make twice baked potatoes. These are a really delicious savory side dishes to pair with our steak. Twice baked potatoes are also very adaptable--change up the flavors, cut some of the fat, add more herbs..the possibilities are endless!
These twice baked potatoes are stuffed with bacon, green onions, and cheese. The sour cream and butter add flavor and moisture. And they were so so good paired with our steaks! I could also see making a bunch of these and serving them as an appetizer or party food.
Twice Baked Potatoes
4 large baking potatoes
¼ cup sour cream
2 tablespoon butter, softened
½ teaspoon seasoned salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Generous ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese plus ¼ cup for topping
2 strips bacon, crumbled
1 tablespoon chopped green onions
- Thoroughly wash the potatoes. Pat dry and then rub the skins with olive oil. Poke holes in potatoes to allow steam to escape. Bake on a cookie sheet for approximately one hour at 350 degrees until cooked through.
- Hold hot potatoes in a towel and cut in half length wise. Use a spoon to gently scoop the middles out of the potatoes. Place the middles in a large mixing bowl. Leave about a quarter inch of potato in the skins.
- Place the shells skin side up back on the cookies sheet. Use a brush to gently brush on olive oil. Lightly sprinkle kosher salt onto the skins. Put back in the oven for 5 minutes to crisp up the shells.
- In the mixing bowl add sour cream, butter, seasoned salt, and pepper to the potatoes. Mix and mash the ingredients together with a spoon.
- Add ¼ cup cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onions to the bowl. Mix together until everything is equally distributed.
- Remove shells from oven and flip over on baking sheet. Fill each shell with potato filling mixture. Top filled shells with remaining cheese.
- Place potatoes in oven for 10-15 more minutes until warmed through. Top with more green onions, bacon, and sour cream for garnish.
Twice baked potatoes are a great side dish for savory dishes. And sometimes the extra time it takes to make them are totally worth it!